Health and Safety
The Wyss Institute's laboratory safety support and training are provided by Harvard University’s Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S) office. The EH&S website (http://www.ehs.harvard.edu/) provides guidance documents, help sheets, and numerous resources searchable by area, (e.g., Buildings & Facilities, Emergency Management, Laboratories), services, program and resource type.
Annual Environmental Health & Safety Training
In accordance with Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) requirements, all employees of the Wyss Institute are required to complete EH&S training annually. In addition, all collaborators who request access to the Wyss facilities must also complete the online EH&S training.
To be added to the Harvard Training Portal (HTP), please contact:
Longwood: Susan Kelley, email@example.com
Cambridge: Simonetta Piergentili, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Biosafety Manual
- Exposure Control Plan
- Chemical Hygiene Plan
- Emergency Action Plan
- Machine Shop Safety Policy
Hard copies of all manuals are available in each of the laboratories.
- For any emergency, contact the Harvard University Police Department (HUPD) at 617.432.1212.
- For medical emergencies, call 911 then HUPD with the exact location of the emergency.
- To report any chemical or biological incidents, call University Operations at 617.495.5560.
Material Safety Data Sheets
- Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDSs) are prepared by manufacturers to summarize the health and safety information relating to their products.
- To obtain MSDS’s, consult the manufacturer’s website or visit the EH&S MSDS webpage where you can access the ChemWatch database of more than 13 million MSDSs.