User Policy and Guidelines
Access and use of facility
- By accessing the Wyss Materials Characterization Core, users agree to the current Core's User Policy. Reservations for instrument use are available on a first come-first served basis. Prior to accessing the Wyss Materials Characterization Core resources, all users need to fulfill the following requirements:
- Complete the Wyss EH&S lab safety training.
- For Longwood access, please refer to the Instructions and send the certificate of training completion to Susan Kelley (Susan.Kelley@wyss.harvard.edu).
- For Cambridge access, please complete the safety requirement form and send the certificate of training completion to Simonetta Piergentili (Sim.Piergentili@wyss.harvard.edu).
- Fill out the Wyss Wiki User registration form.
- Fill out the Project Registration form.
- Have a verifiable funding source.
- Complete the Wyss EH&S lab safety training.
- New users should discuss the specifics of their experiments with Wyss Materials Characterization Core facility staff prior to planning their experiments.
- Experienced users can use the instrument/resources unassisted.
- Normal hours of operation for the Wyss Materials Characterization Core facilities are between 9am and 5pm Monday through Friday. If access is needed outside business hours, permission is required from the Wyss Materials Characterization Core manager.
- Users can request assistance by appointment. Wyss Materials Characterization Core staff can assist the users with training, instrument setup, data acquisition, data analysis, and/or troubleshooting according to individual needs.
- Instrument modifications and adjustments by individuals other than Wyss Materials Characterization Core staff is strictly prohibited at all times, unless appropriate consultation has taken place with Wyss Materials Characterization Core staff.
- Users are required to follow the instructions on the proper usage of each instrument and comply with the Wyss Institute's User Policy and the EH&S policy at all times. The Wyss Materials Characterization Core reserves the right to revoke access privileges.
- The instrument and facilities must be kept clean and in order and ready for the next user. If you wear gloves during use, please wipe all instruments that have been used, including keyboard and mouse, with 70% ethanol at the end of use.
- Immediately report any problems or concerns to the Wyss Materials Characterization Core staff.
- Damage incurred to instruments and facilities as a result of user abuse will be charged back to the user.
- Priority access will be given to Wyss Institute faculty and staff and Wyss Collaborating Institutions.
Reservations and Cancellations
- The person who makes a reservation is responsible for the equipment during the time it is reserved. Do not reserve time for an untrained user.
- Start your session on time. If you finish early, please modify your reservation in the scheduling calendar to let other users know that the instrument is available.
- Do not reserve excessive time. You can always stay longer if no one signs up after you.
- An instrument reservation not canceled thirty minutes before the scheduled time will be logged as used time.
- Advise the Wyss Materials Characterization Core staff within thirty minutes of your original reservation if you want to cancel your session. This is to ensure that the instrument is turned off if your reservation is the last one of the day or if the next reservation is an hour or more later.
- A reservation should not be made more than two weeks in advance unless approved by the Wyss Materials Characterization Core staff.
- A user who has made a reservation using the Wyss Materials Characterization Core on-line scheduler has access priority. However, the Wyss Materials Characterization Core staff reserve the right to reschedule upon notifying the user.
- Reservations and usage will be logged in 15-minute increments.
- Wyss Materials Characterization Core staff provides group training sessions based on level of experience. New users can request training in a one-on-one setting.
- A user's training requirement is fulfilled only when the user has been trained by an approved trainer. Wyss Wyss Materials Characterization Core will evaluate the competency of a user who has been trained on the same instrument in the past.
Data Storage and Analysis
- Each individual user is responsible for archiving his or her own data/images. Images/data can be stored on local hard-drives temporarily; these files may be deleted without warning.
- Users are encouraged to store their images/data on the Wyss file server. Users can only access to the Wyss file server through an eCommons account.