About the Wyss:
- The mission of the Wyss Institute for Biologically Inspired Engineering at Harvard University is to transform human healthcare and the environment by emulating the way nature builds. Developed as an alliance between Harvard and other premier academic and clinical partner institutions, Institute faculty and staff collaborate in high-risk, fundamental research and science-driven technology development. A major focus of the Institute is to translate the technologies developed by its faculty and staff into commercial products and therapies through collaborations with clinical investigators and establishment of corporate alliances. For more information, discover our technologies, catch up on our recent news, or watch our latest videos.
- The Wyss Institute for Biologically Inspired Engineering at Harvard University invites applications for a Bioengineering Co-op student position in the Synthetic Biology and the Bioinspired Therapeutics and Diagnostics platforms. The candidate will report to a senior staff scientist at the Wyss Institute and can expect rigorous training, exposure to multiple disciplines and in-depth learning about therapeutics, preparing them for pursuing academic and pharmaceutical careers. The candidate will work within a multidisciplinary team, supporting the discovery of therapeutics for neurological disorders, in particular bipolar disorder. The project uses a unique screening combination of Xenopus frog embryo and tadpole models, and cerebral organoids derived from human induced pluripotent stem cells.
In this role you will:
- Perform phenotypic screens, behavioral analysis, and molecular assays in traditional culture systems as well as automated custom instrumentation with the Microengineering team within the CircaVent project. Primary responsibilities include embryo and tadpole culture, Xenopus husbandry, behavioral/cognitive assays, light and fluorescence microscopy
- Design and carry out experiments using the existing protocols and instrumentation developed in the lab
- Design and execute experiments, analyze experimental data, and communicate their findings to their peers and advisors in formal and informal settings
- Analysis, interpretation and presentation of various type of phenotypic data
- Inventory control and lab maintenance
- Other duties as assigned
What you’ll need:
- Senior undergraduate level biology/biochemistry
- Some experience with live animals would be advantageous
- Willing and able to work without daily supervision
- Detailed oriented and interest in problem solving
- Basic communication (written & verbal)
- Organization (shared electronic lab notebook)
- Microsoft Office Computer skills required
- Demonstrates a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with others
Where You Can Apply:
- Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line “Synthetic Biology CO-OP Position.”
Not Ready to Apply Yet:
- Sign up for our Talent Community to stay up to date on career information and the latest news from the Wyss Institute at Harvard University.
Harvard University is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law. Demonstrates a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with others.