About the Wyss: The mission of the Wyss Institute for Biologically Inspired Engineering at Harvard University is to transform human healthcare and the environment by emulating the way nature builds. Developed as an alliance between Harvard and other premier academic and clinical partner institutions, Institute faculty and staff collaborate in high-risk, fundamental research and science-driven technology development. A major focus of the Institute is to translate the technologies developed by its faculty and staff into commercial products and therapies through collaborations with clinical investigators and establishment of corporate alliances. For more information, visit: http://wyss.harvard.edu/.
Role Description: The Wyss Institute for Biologically Inspired Engineering at Harvard University seeks a talented student intern to work in the Synthetic Biology and the Living Cellular Devices platforms. Reporting to the Senior Staff Scientist, you will work within a multidisciplinary team, supporting the discovery of lipids as food ingredients and biodegradable plastics for packaging. The project uses the chemolithotroph Cupriavidus necator and sugar as well as gas fermentation. You can expect rigorous training, exposure to multiple disciplines and in-depth learning about bioproduction, which will prepare you for a career in academia or biotech industries. This internship is for 20 hours per week.
In this role you will:
- Design, prepare and conduct fermentation runs
- Analyze, interpret and present experimental data
- Perform offline analyses and extract and purify products
- Handle media preparation, microbial culturing, OD and media component measurements
- Maintain the lab and manage inventory of supplies
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with others.
- Other related duties as assigned
What you’ll Need:
- Senior undergraduate level biology/biochemistry
- Some experience with bacteria would be advantageous.
- Able to work with minimal supervision
- Detail oriented
- Interest in solving problems
- Proficient written and oral communication skills
- Organized work style
- Microsoft Office Computer skills required
Where You Can Apply:
Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line “Synthetic Biology Intern Position.”
Not ready to apply yet:
Sign up for our Talent Community to stay up to date on career information and the latest news from the Wyss Institute at Harvard University. Sign up for updates
Harvard University is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law. Demonstrates a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with others.