Science and design are often thought to represent opposite mindsets of analysis versus conjecture, of explanatory versus disruptive modes of thinking. Audacious, provocative, and unconventional work emerges when we cross the traditional disciplinary divide between science and design. This conference assembles thought leaders from both areas who interrogate the space in between through their work. The sessions – thematically aligned with the human senses – present a multitude of approaches, methods, and techniques that transcend the disciplinary focus. Conceived as an open forum for exploration and discussion, the conference is co-hosted by faculty from the Graduate School of Design and the John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences at Harvard University. The projects and explorations featured range from fashion to material science, from perfume creation to building science, and from cooking to cognitive science.
- Jeronimo Beccar, Co-founder and CEO of Hyka Therapeutics
- Matheus Fernandes, Applied Math Ph.D. candidate at the Harvard John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences and Graduate School of Arts and Sciences
- Benjamin Markham, Director, Architectural Acoustics Group
- Olga Mesa, Research Associate in the Material Processes and Systems Group (MaP+S) at the Harvard Graduate School of Design,
- Saurabh Mhatre, Research Associate in the Material Processes and Systems Group (MaP+S) at the Harvard Graduate School of Design and the Wyss Institute
- Dr. Mary Tolikas, Executive Director of the Wyss Center
- Pia Sorenson, Senior Preceptor in Chemical Engineering and Applied Materials at the Harvard John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences
Anyone requiring accessibility accommodations should contact the events office at (617) 496-2414 or email@example.com.
For additional information, visit the Harvard University Graduate School of Design website.